Tuesday, October 7, 2008

nesting...

Long ago, when I was first pregnant, I read about a phenomenon called nesting. Pregnancy Weekly.com says the following about it:

"Around the fifth month of pregnancy, the "nesting" instinct can set in. This is an uncontrollable urge to clean one's house brought on by a desire to prepare a nest for the new baby, to tie up loose ends of old projects and to organize your world."

I may have thought during either of the two times in the last 4 months that I was nesting when I tore apart my house to participate in 2 separate garage sales. The thought definitely crossed my mind.

After last night, however, I am pretty positive that I have got the nesting bug. While making dinner, I came across an expired box of food in my pantry. No big deal, I just threw it away. I walked away, and could not stop thinking about that expired box of food in my pantry!! I went back and 2 huge garbage bags later, I actually felt that I had accomplished something productive. It's not that everything that was disposed of was expired, either. I just did not think that we needed these things anymore. My pantry was just too cluttered. It was at 10pm when I was filling another bag from our refrigerator that I realized that I was obsessed.

I feel a little better this morning, but I'm still thinking about it. Just a couple of minutes ago, I went to the pantry and a smile came across my face when I saw the work that I had done. Throwing things out truly is a cleansing process. I wonder how long this feeling will last...

No comments: