Friday, October 3, 2008

Well here goes nothing!

My very first post on my very first blog! How exciting!

This blog is dedicated to our first daughter, Autumn Leigh Wallace. She is due December 23, 2008. This whole pregnancy has been such a whirlwind process and there has been so much that I've already forgotten. These days are precious, and not only do I want to remember them, but I would love for Autumn to be able to know what I've gone through to bring her in to this world.

We had a doctor's appointment on Tuesday at which my doctor told me that my glucose screening came back with high blood sugar levels and that she recommended a more intense 3 hour test. The only thing that was going through my mind the horror of not being able to eat sweets for the next 3 months!

Yesterday, I headed to the hospital as early as possible to get the process started. Since I knew I had to fast for this thing, I wanted to get there as soon as possible. I arrived at the hospital at about 730am. It took about 45 minutes to get me registered into the hospital's system and another 15 to get back to see the lab tech. I first had to go give a blood sample so they could do a fasting glucose level and then had to wait for those results to come back. At 9, I was finally able to drink the dreaded "orange drink"! They then they took my blood at 930, 10, 11, and 12 to test the glucose levels. I was so hungry, since the last time I had eaten was 9pm the night before! Believe me, these days, I'm more hungry than I've ever been so this was a true test of patience. One of the worst parts of the whole thing was that where I had to wait was out in the main lobby next to the cafeteria where everyone passed with their breakfast and lunches :( The waiting was honestly not that bad though (besides the hunger). I took magazines and chatted with people at the hospital.

After the 12:00 draw, I had to go upstairs to the maternity ward to get a shot of Rhogam. The nurses were so incredibly nice. I told them what I had just done and they gave me some juice and crackers to tide me over until I could leave! I was then given a tour of the maternity ward and birthing rooms. I was also able to talk to the nurse and ask her questions about the birthing process that I was wondering about.

2 good things actually came out of my miserable morning, though. First off, after speaking with everyone that I came in contact with, I am 100% confident that this is the hospital that I am supposed to give birth at. The staff is wonderful, welcoming, friendly, and accommodating. The second thing (and the thing that is a little bit intimidating) is that I am now pre-registered. This means that if I were to go in to labor, I can run to the hospital and not worry about having to fill out any paperwork. All I have to do is yell my name as I'm running to the maternity ward.

Today, I got a voice mail from my doctor saying that my test results came back fine. This process has once again reminded me of how blessed I have been to have had such a healthy pregnancy. I may bitch about aches and pains, but I think I've got it pretty easy compared to others that I know.

No comments: