Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Dr Appt Update: 36 weeks

I went to my 36 week appointment today, which marks the first of my weekly appointments from here on out. I was nervous about this one for a couple of reasons...
1) My weight last time was a shock to me and I really haven't changed any eating habits. I feel bigger and clunkier by the day, so I wasn't ready to have that confirmed by seeing another 4 lbs on my ass.
2) When you Google what happens during your 36 week prenatal appointment, the main subject that is returned is the Group B Strep Test. That was not something that I was necessarily looking forward to!
3) I know that realistically I could go in to labor any day now. This week contains the most eating-focused holiday of the year, which I absolutely love! Jeremy and I have planned to go to Mansfield and I was so afraid that the doctor was going to tell me that I couldn't (or shouldn't) go!

As I mentioned earlier, my nerves were a little out of whack when I arrived! I got on the scale and was pleasantly surprised to find that I've only gained 1 lb in the last 2 weeks. The doctor said that all of the weight gain tends to balance itself out overall. And I've really been the only one concerned about it up to this point (well, me and my mother that is- haha). Overall I have gained 14 lbs since the start of my pregnancy!

The nurse then took my blood pressure, which caused some concern because it was really high this time (it was something like 148/86). This sent me into visions of rushing to the hospital for an emergency delivery (making my upcoming turkey dinner farther and farther away). The nurse left the room, and the doctor came in about a minute later to retest. The second time was completely normal (around 127/80-something), thank goodness!

We then discussed my Thanksgiving trip, and my nerves have been officially settled. While she agreed that it is definitely possible that I could go in to labor while I was away from home, it was not probable. She told me to make sure that we stopped the car every hour so I could get up and walk around, and just know where the closest hospitals are just in case! She also put me at ease by checking my cervix, and she told me that I am less than a finger dialated, which basically means that I'm not.

And finally, the GBS test that I was dreading took about 5 seconds and while it was not comfortable, it was not half as bad as I thought it was going to be!

Here is an update to the nursery that I promised! On Sunday, Sam and Jeremy moved in all of the furniture! I bought a rug from Target and then went in to start setting things up. While I did not get everything done, I did make a little progress. My favorite part was when I set up the noise-maker. I bought one that has a projector on the top with changeable picture disks. It plays the normal noise-maker sounds (ocean, rain and heartbeat), but also has a couple of lullabies as well. The projector puts the rotating pictures on the ceiling that theoretically give a baby something to look at while lying in bed. It is just about the cutest thing I have ever seen! I actually sat in the dark and watched it for a while and listened to the music because it is so precious! I hope Autumn loves it as much as I do! I still have a lot to do in the room, but we're officially off to a good start.

Since I just took at belly picture a couple of days ago, I'm going to save this post to only post nursery pics. Enjoy!

Here is the view from the hallway. Here is a better view of the left side of the room. Jeremy's mom had some letters painted to match the room (that spell Autumn) and I think they will look precious over the changing table.

This is the right side of the room. The quilt that matches the bedding will hang above the crib. Once I get all of the gift bags out of the crib, I'll focus on putting in my beautiful hand-made bedding! Finally, here is the back of the room where the closet is still a work-in-progress. I keep finding more clothes and unfortunately I'm out of hangers.

I can't wait to put a baby in this room!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

You're making me feel all sappy inside! I'm so excited for you, this is the best part!! If I don't talk to you for a while it's because I'm resisting the urge to go get pregnant again.

Jessica said...

The nursery looks beautiful! I'm so glad I got to see it in person and I can't wait to see the finished version (complete with baby Autumn!). Hope to see you soon!