Thursday, December 18, 2008

2 Week Pediatritian Appointment

Today was Autumn's 2 week checkup (even though she is technically only 1 week and 4 days old). I am very pleased to announce that Autumn has officially surpassed her birth weight! She is now 6lb 8 oz (5th percentile) and 19 1/2 inches long (40th percentile). While all this percentile business is completely confusing to me, I'm told that this basically means that she is tall and skinny. I told Autumn to enjoy this time when she is tall and skinny, because the odds in this department are seriously stacked against her, my poor little dear.

The doctor is so pleased with Autumn's growth that she told me that I no longer have to wake her up in the middle of the night to feed her every 4 hours! This is a huge relief to me. Last night, I named myself the worst mother in the world because the 1am alarm that attempted to wake me up to feed my daughter didn't wake me up! I woke up at 3:30am to Autumn's hunger cries and felt so horrible about it. While I'm certain she won't sleep through the night, a longer-than-4-hour stretch of sleep tonight will be welcome.

The final thing to note about our appointment this morning was the 2 week newborn screening that Autumn was subjected to. I have been warned what was going to happen and that it would more than likely be completely traumatizing for me, but I really thought I could handle it. While my little naked daughter was held down on the examining table, she was pricked in the heel with a needle and squeezed until 5 little circles of blood were filled. She was lying there very peacefully and sucking on her pacifier and minding her own business and when the needle stuck her, I saw her eyes widen and she let out the most pitiful scream. I could practically her her saying "What the hell did you just do to me??"! Well, it turns out that I am not as strong as I thought I was, because I started bawling and didn't stop until about 5 minutes after the test was complete.

OK, enough of the small talk... it's picture time! Here is Autumn on Tuesday with her now famous after-bath hair...

Autumn with her friend, Abby...

Yesterday, Autumn got a visit from my Godmother, Jan, her Aunt Kate, and her Granny Nell.

And finally, here is my sweet little girl after her traumatic doctor's appointment today. She loves her lamb swing and the new pants that her Auntie E got her!

No comments: